Tuesday, January 9, 2018

Our Souls Were Made to Crave: Guest Post with Lindsey Whitten Overton

               
               Are you as tired as I am? I mean, does your laundry pile have a bottom? Where do all of these plastic cups come from? I swear, our neighbors must be dropping off a few extras into my sink! Between trying to be a good wife, chasing after the kids’ activities, managing our household, going to church, working, remodeling a house, going back to school, and all of the other things I manage to get myself into I am EXHAUSTED!

                I did not used to feel this way. I have considered the possibility of, “I am just getting older…”, but let’s be honest, I am in my 30’s. I should still have the energy to do everything God has called me to. If Sarah can have a baby in her 90’s, surely, I can handle my little crew at 30, right?

                A friend recently said, “You seem like you have it together…how do you manage?” I wanted to crumble and cry and tell her the truth, which is I am scraping by; however, I mustered up a superficial answer that I can’t even remember. As the words came out of my mouth they were bitter and immediately regretted.

                What has happened to me…where did my joy go? What about my zest for pursuing God’s heart or following the Lord on crazy adventures? Where did the positive attitude go for serving my family?  Why has picking up after my husband become something that stirs up an attitude of resentment or anger? Where is this all coming from? Ladies, please tell me that I am not alone. I have to believe other moms must feel this overwhelmed feeling too.

I sat down to do my quiet time recently. As I opened my bible, I realized, wow…it has been weeks since I sat down to actually study. Not days, it has progressed to weeks. The Holy Spirit spoke so loudly to me that I looked around to see if anyone else could hear. The WORD…my soul was starving! I had neglected the one thing that I have built my life around. The one constant in my life, the source of strength, the power to face challenges, the hope for my future, the joy of my day…Jesus.

When we operate in our flesh, our physical, everyday lives, we are leaving Him out. Because I hadn’t found my place and I didn’t understand his plan for me in Alabama, I became frustrated, which led to bitterness, and ultimately left me feeling overwhelmed and empty.

Romans 8 teaches us that if we walk in the flesh, we think only on those things. If we open our eyes and walk in His spirit, we live and think in the spirit. Later it says that the spirit’s mind-set is life and peace, whereas the mind-set of the flesh is death. Here it is sweet sisters, the answer to why we are feeling overworked, overwhelmed, dissatisfied, etc. We have to connect ourselves to Jesus every single day. He is the source of a full life and a peace-filled heart.

Our souls were made to crave…what are we filling it with? As we walk into this new year, my soul is set on a new course. I am choosing life and peace. I don’t know about you but those feelings of “death’ are too much for me. I do not find any joy in that! I need and want more out of life. If you are looking for love, acceptance, encouragement, peace, hope, whatever your heart is craving, look in the Word of the Lord, the source of everything our souls could need. He is waiting patiently for you to come and sit at his feet. He longs to spend time with you today!


If you have questions, want to know more about walking with Jesus, or would like someone to pray with or encourage you, I would love to talk! My cell is 229-400-5810 or you can email me overtonlindsey@gmail.com .
Be blessed, dear sister. You are loved far beyond what you can imagine!

James 4:8 “Draw near to God, and He will draw near to you.”

No comments:

Post a Comment